Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Brown Boys

Brown Boys


The entire household discussed happenings of the night

around the breakfast table

and I was clueless


3 gunshots, really?

loud thunder, hmm.

we were robbed? wow!


Slept through every episode


Then came my brown boys

I still sleep through storms

Deep deep slumber

but sit straight up in my bed 3 rooms away

when I hear them cry during the night

and when I have them in my bed

with their beating hearts next to mine

and plenty of reassurance that no monsters

will get them tonight

all is right with the world


It is amazing to me that

1000 brown boys could cry out Mama

at the exact same time

and I would recognize the 2 cries

that belong to me


brown boys

brown eyes

the 2 halves of my heart

that live outside my body


brown boys

sent to my life to bring me

laughter

big hugs exactly when I need them

and unmeasurable joy

12 Comments:

At 7:34 AM, Blogger Jenell : BlakIzBeautyful said...

Hello my fellow African Sista...

Greetings from a Liberian girl.

Its my first time by your spot and I really enjoyed this post.

Children are the same way you know... I can recognize my mothers voice as clear as day from anywhere. Even when shes not sounding like herself.

Same with my dad... If he calls my name, I know its none other then my daddy.

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger princessdominique said...

Again, awesome thought. Glad I found the writing blog :)

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger The Sarccastik Variable Why said...

not bad...

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger Stephen A. Bess said...

I thought that I already left a comment here??? Well, great write up and testament of a mother's intution. Your boys are fortunate to have a mother who cares for them and loves them so. It's unfortunate that some children still long for that type of love and affection. Enjoy your weekend! Peace~

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger Rose said...

That's powerful- 1000 brown boys could cry out Mama at the exact same time and I would recognize the 2 cries that belong to me. Mothers just have that innate thing. We are so blessed with that...great post.

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger Lyrically speaking said...

A sad tale, wow, I appreciate this one

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger Rethabile said...

Twins? I read that into your poem, especially the part about two halves of your own heart. Nice...

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Brotha Buck said...

Beautiful. Reminds me of my brown boy, and two brown girls.

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger Rose said...

Merry Christmas to you....and your family...

 
At 5:16 AM, Blogger SaHaRa said...

Beautiful and passionate poem. Love it!

Where in Africa do you happen to be from? I'm from the land in Kilimanjaro.

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger The Humanity Critic said...

That's a beautiful piece, Bravo..

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger Teaworthy said...

I love this poem. so much.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home