Friday, February 17, 2006

Scars

Scars
Physical

Right hand burn
courtesy of big sister dropping hot stone on me

Right arm
Courtesy of little sister
once big bully

Inside lower lip
courtesy of my dumbness
thinking I could ride the big bike
and carry on a conversation
head first into the empty pool I went

A little one on my face
no idea where it came from
but couldn’t imagine my face without it

Left hand from surgery
To remove cyst
Horizontal line below my navel
reminder of how my babies came into the world

Scars
Emotional

When you broke your vows
for all of us to see

Every time I wasn’t chosen

Every time my actions were misunderstood

When I couldn’t speak up for myself
and was taken advantage of

When you came home one day and confessed all your lies
I thought we were happy
but you listed off name after name of all the women
you slept with
while I was home breastfeeding your son

Scars
Burdens

Scars
Truth

Scars
Freedom

4 Comments:

At 1:04 PM, Blogger Stephen A. Bess said...

That's beautiful! It's often our so-called imperfections that make us uniquely beautiful. I really like.

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Rose DesRochers said...

I've just stumbled upon your blog after viewing Stephens. I've enjoyed your writing.

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger A Girl Again said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger A Girl Again said...

beautiful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home