Friday, February 24, 2006

Infidelity & Hot Water Bottles.



A couple of posts ago I had an entry about how African men flaunt their infidelity like a badge of honor.

Today I was internet hopping and came across this article.  What a giant step.

This sentence alone had me shaking my head all over again…..
‘Later he demands some gratitude for having used condoms with the other woman.’
Yes Lawd, the foolishness continues.
What got me was that the link to the story read Cheating Husbands – Zimbabwean play asks if a hot water bottle is a better partner.
So obviously I’ve been in America too long cause my mind immediately thought the hot water bottle was being used for something else!!!  But then I read further and there is an actual mention of the word LESBIAN – wow!  Giant step for African women.  Go on sista gurls!!!!
Read for yourselves:
Zimbabwe play tackles adultery
Steve Vickers BBC News, Harare

A well-received Zimbabwean play has challenged how a woman should react in situations of adultery.
Despite a widely-held view in the country that wives should accept that their husbands will stray, expectations are beginning to change.
Hot Water Bottle is a one-woman performance featuring Tinopona Katsande, a television soap opera star with a raunchy image.
Twenty shows were held over two weeks at Harare's Theatre In The Park, and the content drew strong reactions from those who watched.
The play is set in a bedroom, with Mia in her nightdress.
After falling asleep she receives a call from a workmate who has seen her husband, Douglas, out with another woman.
As confirmation, she finds condoms in the pockets of her husband's jacket.

Choice
Then come hours of anguish and soul-searching while waiting for him to return, and at times she wonders whether it is all her fault.
I have been the loyal and respectful wife - not any more Mia
"For what, Douglas, why, why? Forgive me Lord, if it was me that did wrong to my husband, forgive me."
But she decides that she is better off with a hot water bottle as her companion and that she will confront Douglas on his return.
He eventually comes back in the early hours of the morning, and Mia vents her anger.
"Go and bath Douglas, how dare you come home reeking of another woman, into my bed, get up, go and wash."
Reaction
One woman who watched the performance quipped: "After watching this I think I'll postpone marriage for another 10 years, or maybe cross over and be a lesbian."
"I'm sure a woman wouldn't cheat on me as much as that!"
HOT WATER BOTTLE BENEFITS
Faithful
Guaranteed hot time in bed
Easy to keep happy
Doesn't answer back
Cheap to replace
No risk of disease

"Because of the anguish and stigma of divorce, a lot of women put up with unfaithful husbands just to keep up appearances, although there's nothing left in the marriage."
The play left many men feeling uncomfortable.
"If I was in the same game as Douglas, I'd definitely change, and I'd like to bring some of my friends along so that they can learn something," said one young man.
But another woman expressed a more traditional view.
"It's good to let the husband feel that he's head of the house, to allow him back and to ask for forgiveness," she said.
The shadow of HIV and Aids hangs over the play, but as in Zimbabwe, which has one of the highest rates of HIV infection on the continent, it is referred to obliquely.
A culture of multiple partners is considered to be a significant factor in the spread of the virus and at one point in the play Mia sobs: "Don't let our child become an orphan".
Later he demands some gratitude for having used condoms with the other woman.
Influences
Hot Water Bottle is the stage debut of 27-year-old Katsande.
She spent 10 years in the US, and her exposure to American culture is one of the reasons why she questions the way that many Zimbabwean women tolerate unfaithfulness.
"Mia is the Zimbabwean woman coming up now, she's gone to a good school, and she's travelled," said Katsande.
"She now has a dilemma trying to deal with what society and culture is saying and what she knows and believes in.
"I went to university in California, and coming back here I know that I won't stand for this, although everything else in society says that this is the way it is.
"I love being here, but I can't live like this. It's not right and we have to let men know that if they cheat they'll be replaced by the hot water bottle."
Polygamy is still widely practised throughout Zimbabwe, and there is a recent urban phenomenon of "small houses", where a married man will rent out a flat for his young girlfriend.
The play was written by a man, Noel Marerwa, and Katsande found that the script was easy to relate to, even though she is not married.
"My sister-in-law commented how ironic it is that a young, single woman with no children can show what's happening to married women," she said.
"Mia got into marriage believing that it was one-man, one-woman, so you can't say that Douglas has a right to cheat.
"Isn't marriage and relationships about what the two of you make it?"
Do you think men have a right to cheat on their partners? Is unfaithfulness tolerated more in Africa than in other cultures and should wives accept it? Would you confront your husband, wife or partner if you knew they were straying? Is it time to confront adultery and its role in the spread of HIV/Aids on the continent?
Let us know your views using the form below.
A selection of your comments will be published below and broadcast on the BBC's Focus on Africa programme on Saturday 26 February 2006 at 1700 GMT.
Your comments:
Adultery should be a crime in every country, it's torture of the worst kind. What woman enjoys washing for a man so he can look good for someone else? Thousands of women die long before they draw their last breath because of adultery and it should stop, right along with polygamy. People should respect their partners more because that would help them keep their zippers up! What always amazes me though is that it's women who have affairs with men, do they never think of themselves as the wife or life partner? Ncumisa, South Africa
Excellent play. Bring to Zambia immediately. Jacob Mwale, Lusaka, Zambia
In most societies men have always considered, and still do, that they have a right to sow their wild oats. I don't think any amount of such plays will change the basic male attitude which is prone to seek new pastures constantly. In African societies, it is this attitude that has contributed to the spread of HIV. A Sathyamurthy, Coimbatore, India
Adultery is a more rooted problem with men and women not dealing with the problems they face daily and finding an easy way out. It is easier to run than face the problem together. Be honest and both partners will survive, and hopefully the marriage will too! Bill, Canada


12 Comments:

At 12:51 PM, Blogger mrs.tj said...

All I can day is Damn!
Guys will do what they want to do, some of them are so selfish and never think of the woman.
Why marry if the man wants to be with others? What happened to the Sanctity of marriage - under GOD and all! Men who do that don't love the women and he don't love himself.
tj

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Lāā said...

From what I gather most African wives are taught and expected to be very submissive to their husband therefore they don't say anything about the infidelity. Everything changes. As a woman I am glad that this issue is coming to the forefront and being examined. Infidelity should not be tolerated by anyone regardless if they wear a condom or not.

However a hot water bottle is not going to do it for me LOL

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Stephen A. Bess said...

I know that I don't have one of those "submissive" African wives. I've never even met you Mwabi and I don't think that you are. I would have to run for dear life if I cheated. I won't even mention the hot grits with sugar.
As for the play that you referenced, I'll describe this as change. Attitudes of women all over the world are changing because we are now a global village due to satellite television and the internet. Women are not putting up with what they use to. Eventually, some of these men will begin to understand what's going on and change accordingly. Unfortunately, many of them will always have a willing participant to help perpetuate this type of behavior.

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger Chinonye O. aka SincereCaramel said...

You know what it is sooo hard to believe in marriage. You are so right about african men too. I am nigerian american and they (Not my daddy of course) walk around like it is cool to have more than one woman. I should write about that.

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Paula D. said...

Very interesting! I definitely agree with laalaa. Infidelity should not be tolerated by anyone.

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger ddsprncs said...

I cant leave a comment on your other blog for some reason, oon my computer I can not see all the words like your title all I see is "can girl in an american world" see it cuts off the begining and the end so I also can not see the begining of the security word.
so that is why I have not been leaving you any messages.

I guess I will have to leave them over here.

As for the church thing just remember not all churches are like that! Did you read my easter post?
If I dont talk to you have a great weekend. ps I got my MK website it's www.marykay.com/cdutton-cook

 
At 3:01 AM, Blogger Charles X said...

i love challenging art

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger princessdominique said...

I'm having a hard time finding your blog. Email me please. Hope things are well.

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger Lyrically speaking said...

Wow, i've never read a blog quite like this one...I don't get it when it comes to African men and the culture over there I am still amaze that they get to treat women the way they do. But i'm sure some who live here in the U.S. have different views.

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Sangindiva said...

This is the first time I am seeing this blog
Mwabi- I like!!!
This was a very interesting topic!
If my husband cheats he is soooo gone...
but I must admit, although I have never been
married- I have been a cheater. DAMN. :)

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger James Manning said...

Well, I can't do the cheating thing. I see no point in it. If it's that bad at home, then I gotta leave.

First time here. Found you by way of SupaSista and I still haven't figured out how I found her.

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Manena said...

yeah... I thought that article was funny, and i really wanted to see the play. Love the hot water bottle idea..well if it came with another big gurrl toy:) but you know those aren't common in Africa. Well maybe i can open a big girl store in Zambia..and probably get arrested:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home