Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Gurl, STOP!


I got my weekly email from The New York Times Book Review last Friday and a book kinda caught my eye. I wasn't going to read it but it made me go hmmm. The book was the one above.

From what I got from a quick skim of the review, this white chick was a gang banger who grew up cared for by an older black woman. So I thought hmmm, she's really going for 2 different angles huh? How many white female gang bangers have books? And how many white kids are raised by black folks? Yes, yes I know Tommy Davidson was raised by white people and I knew this one white guy who adopted 6 or 7 mixed kids and I'm sure there are some black people out there raising white kids but I sure haven't seen them unless you count Steve Martin in the movie The Jerk.

Well word comes today that homegirl made it all up! Yup, a fragment of her imagination. Nothing wrong with that hun but when you say your memoir, shit usually has to be stuff you actually experienced.

What is it about the black experience that people are so in love with? You'd rather portray yourself as poor and struggling and desolute than a life of priveledge in the valley? I just don't get it.

What really surprises me is that girlfriend did all this AFTER the James Frey incident. Talk about brave! Honestly in this day and age of google did she really think no one would figure it out? I love to find out more about people....and I admit, sometimes I get a lil Nancy Drew'ish' in my research. I mean damn! Did she really not think one of her classmates from the private school would see her face in the paper or an interview and say, "wait a minute?"

Once again, if she had just called it fiction it wouldn't be a problem. Oh well...I'm sure she'll be on somebody's couch crying her heart out and in less than a year she'll have a book about surviving when the whole world turns on you or something.

Hmph!

1 Comments:

At 5:34 AM, Blogger Icey said...

I dont get that either...why lie?? Do people not think that their facts can be checked? Or that some family member or former friend can put the kabash on their little tales!? I don't get it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home