Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Knowing Your Roots



I am GRATEFUL that I know my entire family tree going back several generations on both sides.

I remember my dear friend naming her son a whole new last name different from hers and his father just so he could start his own tribe. I know many people think about this on a daily basis and I am thankful that I don't have to.

My husband never had the pleasure of meeting his grandparents. His maternal grandmother died only months before his birth. The good news is that she dreamed of him and described him all the way down to his sparkling eyes that change color depending on the season shortly before she died. So in a special small way they did meet. He now relies on family memories from his parents and siblings about his grandparents.

I have had the pleasure in my life of knowing both my paternal and maternal grandparents. Every Christmas my family and I would make the 10 hour drive to Muyombe, my paternal grandparents village and enjoy the season with them. Samuel Waluza Kaira was my heart. Different people say he was born in 1904 but in reality that is the first year that came to mind. He could have been born earlier. My grandfather and I had a remarkable bond. We would sit and talk for hours and he would tell me about his remarkable life. About how he was a postman in his younger days and how he would ride a horse for days just to deliver mail.

He lost his sight in the early 90's. He requested that I put his eye drops in his eyes whenever I was home on vacation. His death was the very first one to affect me so deeply. I miss him all the time but he is around me all the time and I have amazing memories. I try to live my life to the fullest and not have regrets but I do regret the one time I threw something at him because I was in a hurry. To be young and dumb I tell you.

His wife who my sister is named after is a whole other story. We'll just leave it at that. She did birth my father so Lord bless her for that.

I did not meet my maternal grandfather until my 10th birthday in 1987. My mother had not seen him in twenty some odd years. He left Malawi to go fight in a war in Zimbabwe in the 1950s and never came back. He settled in Zimbabwe and even had another family. My mother brought him to Zambia in 1987. I remember standing at the train station with my mother waiting for him. It was an amazing reunion and my grandfather, Win White Kanyingi was so tall and dashing. The man was such a sharp dresser. Again, I'll always have that memory.

Win White sent us a video last summer telling us about his life. He was a boxer in his young days. Birthdays in Africa back in the day were not recorded so it is not known when Win White was born. We guess that he is currently in his 90's. My mother sent me pictures of my grandparents today. They make me proud.

6 Comments:

At 12:13 PM, Blogger Stephen A. Bess said...

Mwabi,
This is a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing it with us. I read every word. It's important that we honor those who came before us. This was lovely and the photos are great. I love the transition from smile to...hurry up and take this picture. :)

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger ChezNiki said...

Happy New Year!
I love your pics! I was able to meet a few of my greatgrands before they passed. When I got older I was able to put family oral history together with vital records. I traced my mother's family back 150 years to Louisiana and even met some long lost relatives from Houston (they werent lost, but I sure didnt know where they were). I think knowing your family helps you to understand yourself. Thank you for sharing your story, it was very uplifting!

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Manena said...

A nya Kaira... I too I'm from Muyombe... okay my dad's family is:-) you got 'win white'? I got 'Lefted'... seriously!!!

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Icey said...

That is such an awesome history. I have wonderful memories of my maternal grandfather, I was the first grandchild and I am told I was the apple of his eyes. I remember playing with him when I was a child, him singing to me in his rich baritone voice...so glad I had the opportunity!

This post made me smile!

 
At 5:24 AM, Blogger Shirlene Alusa-Brown said...

Nice site. I really like it. they look so young for their age. Good genes! And so dignified. That's what i want to be like when I get older.

 
At 12:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mwabs...

Your photos are so awesome...as is your craft...when's that booking hitting the scene:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home